Welcome to Shinobi Story!

636f97daa7d58374b44fa0f2c8cb46fe.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Vlad

Vlad's Development Blog

13d648983a8b9df4ed48c97c0e42c225.png

Greetings and welcome to my first entry in my Development Diary! In these blog-style posts, I hope to convey information to the community that highlights personal projects I am working on in Shinobi Story (if they are not secret), documenting important statements, & actions I am taking. 

Waking up this morning I did not expect to be ending my day on such a positive note. We had a plan in mind going back two weeks ago; drafting a timeline to improve our livestreams and to showcase what we had going on. We listened to your feedback. We were going to show the jutsu, after a long awaited reveal. We've been planning them for months, thinking of every detail to make sure the base 12 masteries were fun, innovative, and offered a fresh take on a typically stale scene. I think you guys are owed an explanation, especially if you did not hear the opening words of the livestream. I did not do a great job in delegating the task to be completed in the way I wanted it to be. The theory behind the system was relatively solid- something not tried before using a wow engine.. a skillshot system that would wield great power, but be difficult to handle well without practice. 

Over the course of 6 months, two different developers I have turned to were unable to churn out this massive endevor. Yesterday, we were supposed to receive and implement enough jutsu to showcase in our livestream- just in time we thought. It turned out there were serious complications which ended the work on them by the developer tasked with it. We were in panic mode. There was no way the stream was going to end on a positive note... & It didn't. After a few words of encouragement to the team, we got to work. A new developer has been assigned the task of rebuilding the entire skillshot jutsu system in C++, something that would not only massively future-proof the game, but also offer unparalleled stability in terms of performance. I think this was a blessing in disguise, as our old approach was flawed and could have been vulnerable to being bogged down. This ended up being an upgrade. We will keep the community updated on our journey of creating this dynamic system as we plunge into hard-core development mode to get ready to receive players in alpha. 

In my closing words i'd like to offer some perspective to those new to developing a game such as this: we're doing well. It has taken us this long to finally get all the back-end things working, threading wires and tightening screws. A lot of work that you will never see has went into the back-end; the nitty gritty technical, just to finally be able to begin building the shinobi world & everything that comes with it. I am proud of our developers, our GMs, and our Storytellers. I am proud of our community and I am grateful for the opportunity and trust you all have given me. The whole team is working hard for you, so please thank some of them when you get a chance- it just might be the extra energy they need to keep on going building this mammoth of a world. 

Vlad

13d648983a8b9df4ed48c97c0e42c225.png

Greetings community.

It has been 10 days since our bare-bones alpha launched, and I just wanted to share a few words about that because diving into the future plans of ours! I want to personally extend a thank you to everyone who has played so far, offered feedback, and helped new players- you are greatly appreciated & your feedback is listened to. Since the launch of the alpha only 10 days ago, we have doubled the size of the map, added a lot of additional custom models, made a fully functional skillshot pvp system (which has never been done in this engine before, mind you), and laid the groundwork for future development to come! Without our amazing Developers none of this would be possible. 

Now, some of you may be wondering what the near future of Shinobi Story holds; and I am prepared to outline the path we are going to be taking. After listening to a lot of feedback & looking at statistics, it seems a lot of people aren't getting that iconic Naruto feel  that many people are seeking. This is something we foresaw early on, but wanted to try a route that hasn't been taken before- Warring Clans. Although this is definitely an interesting perspective, I must agree that it is missing core Naruto elements. To address this, we have begun work on Konoha, to introduce the village into the game in as soon as we logically can.

Here is a sneak peek of some work developers have been doing behind the scenes to get ready for Konoha! 

Spoiler

unknown.png

The next main concern for players is that there is not too much gameplay right now. We are going to be rapidly addressing this by adding a lot more content, and a more understandable/streamlined system to progress. We are aiming to keep participation in roleplay as the key method of progressing your character, but we are not discounting other means of progress as long as we deem it fun and creative. This week I am going to outline the propositions to the Development & Game Master team, then a comprehensive tasklist will be made so that we tackle this challenge as efficiently as we can. I hope you stick around during this unorthodox alpha, and join us as we shape the future of Shinobi Story together! 

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to make this game & community. You are an amazing bunch of people,

Vlad